View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
Giller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
It is an eye opener to me how less stout these cars are compared to my 928. The early Porsches were designed under a different paradigm, and had a lot less big corporate (and bean counting) influence. for sure the 928s have their issues, as do all older cars, but they do not fail at the rates I see consistently on the Boxster boards, and they are much easier to work on in my view. And three engine failures? That would have been it for me after the fisrt one.
The downside to these boards is they can give you false impressions. Boards like this are more prone to complaint and concerns. Rarely do we see someone post "No problems today!" but there are 1000's of Porsche drivers out there who experience this daily. No problems. For every engine failure, how many clean beautiful P-Cars are out there with little to no problems?

No doubt there was some "bean counting" done when the car was produced (as the majority of all mass-produced items are) but I still fail to see how that has dramatically reduced the overall reliability of this car vs. other manufactures of similar age. Sure, there are lots of people out there who say their 12 year old pickup is in better shape than the Porsche - but there are just as many saying the opposite.