View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #20
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
As a dealer, I can tell you that most of what has been offered will not make any positive difference in getting a good price. What will make a difference is to know how much you think the car is worth and how much you can pay. These two numbers are paramount if you to negotiate a good deal for yourself.

In other words, do you homework!

I encourage you to Make a REAL and a FAIR offer and be able to explain to the dealer where you got your number from. If you make an absurd offer, you label yourself as a con man or a flake, In either case, the dealer will write you off and negotiations will likely end.

In the end, the dealer has a number. If you find that number quickly and honorably, and it works for you, you have a fair deal. Most of what has been offered simply allows you to annoy each other and inflame emotions on both sides.

Telling the dealer what you think Boxsters are selling for 3500 miles away does nothing to get you a good deal. Showing him a REAL offer in your region does. Denigrating the car he has while trying to buy it shows you to be dishonest. Why do you expect him to take you seriously if you are wheeling and dealing on a car you really don't want? If you are negotiating, he should assume you really want that car.

Clearly, engaging in tactics both either party does not get you any more quickly to a number you can both live with.

If you work with most folks honestly and in good faith, you will end up happier with the process and the car.

And of course, you should always walk from a deal that does not work for you. I encourage you to know what the walk away number is and why. Then do that if appropriate.

IHMO!
In some strange way I get where you are coming from - but I still think the current way of buying cars is absolute crap.

You want me to make a REAL and FAIR offer? Why the hell isn't the vehicle priced REAL and FAIRLY to begin with? Why should my negotiating skill or ability to impress some salesman impact my car value? Why should I have FIND that "dealer number"? Why should I have to show him a REAL offer in my region? If I don't do these things I get screwed? That may be the "way it is" - but it's still crap!

I bought a car for my wife this weekend. I spent a few day researching vehicles and then visited 3 dealers and let each dealer know that for the right price I'll buy the car on the spot. My first dealer offered a vehicle $2500-3500 above anything in the market. After we looked over the car and my wife took it for a drive I asked "what's the lowest price you'd let this go for". I got the "well, the price is on the window - once that's on there - it's pretty much what they are willing to let it go for - but, you know, everything is negotiable." My wife looked at me and knew we weren't buying from this doofus. When I pointed out that his price was way out of line with similar vehicles - I got a repeat of his spiel. As I was leaving he approached my Box and asked for our number, "you know, in case we can make a better deal".

We hit another dealer. I went through the same spiel. He came down in price - but was still way out of line for the vehicle. I told him what I'd take it for and I got the old "that's what we bought it for - my manager will laugh at me - I can sell these all day".... Take your pick. I didn't want to hang around while he "went to bat for me with the manager". I walked.

The next dealer we hit already had the vehicle priced right. He wasn't interested in any negotiations since the vehicle was already a great value (about $5000.00 less than the other dealers and spot on for regional value, mileage, and condition). I purchased the vehicle on the spot contigent upon a mechanic inspection and a new stereo (which my wife gets to pick out).

I think it's interesting that you don't condone the "tactics" listed below - but we as customers have to deal with all the dealer tactics. And let me tell you, I've seen 'em all! Dealers over emphasize the positives (and I use that loosely) of their vehicles - but it's not okay for us to point out the negatives? What's up with that? Play down the poor condition of the purchase vehicle - but make a stink about a tiny scratch on my trade in? Take my keys. Move my car. Run my credit when I tell you I have outside financing....

Yeah - we're the ones who are dishonest.

I mean - IMHO!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote