View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
martsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Most brake hard lines are a double flare style, which requires specialized tooling to create. Because of the pressure they operate under, they cannot be made with a common single flare tool. Flare fittings can be opened repeatedly and will completely reseal as long as neither side of the flare fitting is damaged in anyway.

Fittings on Porsches are metric and tend to use 18MM, 17MM, 14MM and 11MM, depending upon year, model, and location of the fittings. There may also be one of two other odd sizes, again depending upon the car. You should never attempt using an open end wrench on a brake line fitting, you need proper flare fitting wrenches to have any chance of preventing rounding off the flats on the fittings:

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the flare types and flare nut wrenches. The nuts were not rounded, I just to to replace them because I have a chance to. Part of the line on my car has quite a bit of rust on it, so I would like to replace it. I plan on either buying or renting a flare tool and a tube bender.

I actually found a video that explains the tube flares. It's confirmed that you can not reuse european style bubble flares (at 2:08). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C12aUE6Qlk
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote