View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
Hey guys, I have a question about the bubble flare on the hard brake lines. I read on some other forums that its a compression seal and once broken, it can not be reused because it won't seal. You have to cut the flare off and reflare the tube. Is this true?

Also, does anyone know the tread size on the flare nuts? There are two different sizes. I would like to get some new nuts.
Most brake hard lines are a double flare style, which requires specialized tooling to create. Because of the pressure they operate under, they cannot be made with a common single flare tool. Flare fittings can be opened repeatedly and will completely reseal as long as neither side of the flare fitting is damaged in anyway.

Fittings on Porsches are metric and tend to use 18MM, 17MM, 14MM and 11MM, depending upon year, model, and location of the fittings. There may also be one of two other odd sizes, again depending upon the car. You should never attempt using an open end wrench on a brake line fitting, you need proper flare fitting wrenches to have any chance of preventing rounding off the flats on the fittings: