View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Hatton View Post
When I start my 98 2.5 the voltage is 14.4v and slowly drops to around 14.1v Problem is the Becker radio has voltage protection and only works below 14.15v and so cuts out continously. So i suspect the alternators voltage regulator need replacing.

Has anybody else had this?
Does this sound about right?
Can one buy the voltage regulator seperatorly? I think its a VW or Audi part too.
Can the voltage regulator be replaced without having to remove the alternator?

Thanks,

James
Couple of possible's here. Yes, the voltage regulator can be problematic, but it is also an over the counter part that is used on VW, Mercedes, and even some Ford models, so it should not be hard to find.

Porsches have also suffered from corrosion build up in the large battery cables, which leads to increased resistance and voltage drops across the cables themselves.

Do a Google search for voltage drop test methods, it only requires a simple electrical multimeter and some time to evaluate your cables to see if the car candidates for replacement.