View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Just to flollow up, I never found the leak but I suspect that the releif valve wasn't sealing properly, maybe because it had sat empty in my minus 10 garage for a couple of months. I managed to get the vacuum to -26 ( my bad: I hadn't turned the pressure up on my compressor ) although it wouldn't hold. I Got it filled after 3 tries. Today I ran it while up on jack stands until it got up to temp. There was about 3 drops of coolant that came out the overflow tube but no other apparent leaks. The tank is recent and it comes with the relief valve so I'm a bit surprised that it didn't seal properly. Has anyone else seen this problem?
I don't want to discourage you, but what engine are you working on? Reason I ask is that the only time we have seen cars refuse to hold vacuum, there were only two reasons: (1) A leak somewhere in the cooling system (loose fittings, loose hose clamps, cracked tanks or lines, etc.); or (2) A cracked cylinder head.

On cars with the first case, the leaks were large and obvious. In the second case, the leak down was more gradual.