View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas View Post
Hi All,

I have replaced my waterpump, fitted a low temp thermostat, done a coolant flush and re-filled the system with porsche coolant/distilled water 50/50 using my airlift.

The car swallowed +-18 litres. Its a 2000 S and yes the heater was on while I pulled the vacuum.

I checked for leaks and took the car for a drive, after a short drive the filling bottle was almost empty and I refilled it, so all in all I have about 19-19.5 litres in the system is that the correct capacity? The system is sealed with no leaks and the bottle level has stayed on the max mark. I have opened the bleeder valve and let the car idle as well as rev'ing her.

Next question is what temperature should my needle be on with my new low temp thermostat installed? It seems my car is running too hot (my temp gauge is in degrees Celsius)

When at idle, the temperature rises to 100 degrees (212F) after a while, when driving the temperature sits just above the 80 degree 176 mark +- 90 degrees(194F) at 12 o'clock. The front fans do kick in and work properly.

I must add, when I open my coolant cap slowly when the car is at idle and at 100 degrees according to the gauge, the water does not seem to be close to boiling or letting off a lot of steam.

Is a temperature gauge probe into the filling bottle a option to check how accurate the cars gauge is?

any ideas will help, thanks!
The temperature display in these cars is both inaccurate and non linear in its movement; making it little more than an idiot light that moves.