View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #16
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Based on my experience testing mods myself on a dyno, I discount what advertisers claim.

Here is the data from IPD's website. They claim a 15hp increase for $1,125. My thinking is that 15hp is the ABSOLUTE best that someone could ever hope to achieve with their system. Who knows how many changes, pulls, and waiting for the right conditions they did just to get 15hp.

To my somewhat skeptical mind, that means more like 5-10hp in the real world and most of it will come at the very high end of the RPM range.

Boxster's (and most Porsche's) breath pretty well (in and out) straight from the factory. The low hanging fruit has already been picked. Thus, most mod's to intake and exhaust only yield small marginal increases. This is why the only way to add big hp is through forced injection or more displacement.

986 Boxster/S | IPD Plenums

Those numbers are based off of using the stock 986 air box. I don't think 15HP is out of reach and from what I have read the larger TB helps in the lower rpm range. Look at the Torque numbers. That's what gets you off the line and into the increased HP range.

So being on the generous side. Using your other numbers.

Intake: +15hp
Exhaust: +15hp (near redline)
Tune: +15hp

That's a 45HP increase. That puts the car into the 303HP range.