Thread: Ims
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
mikefocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
Would you turn your Boxster over to someone like this? Or opt for one of the recommended shops with more direct experience with IMS?
A potentially brilliant brain surgeon wants to work on my brain but hasn't ever done the operation before? Should I go with him, he charges less?

When I had cancer, I went to the group that had worked on 10k of my type and who had records of their success/failure rates. My local guy (who I like a lot) hadn't done any of the type of treatment I was selecting. The guy who diagnosed me only did 3 operations a year. I went three states away. I'm cured.

So I guess it is obvious which I'd think would have a better chance of a happy outcome.

There are some things in life I don't try to save money on, those are the things where experience and expertise counts and, if the job isn't done right, the consequences are quite serious.

For lots of other things, I'm cheap as heck. I saved on the oil change, the O2 sensor changes, etc. Those weren't vital and I could check that the work was done right.

Which is not to say he couldn't do it right. but he would need to buy some expensive tools and use the right instructions. I wouldn't want him learning on my car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote