View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Porsche - not even in the top 10.....

10 of the worst engines in history | Autonet.ca

As some have said - the overall fail rate is really very low compared to many other vehicles out there. And when you correct the IMS - the fail rate is tiny.
Interesting list. While growing up my family had three of the engines listed. We had a wonderful new '79 Olds Cutlass Diesel 5 speed manual (one of 150!) that went through head gaskets every 40k or tank of bad fuel, which ever came first. It also ate a couple of injection pumps and had an electrical fire that almost totalled it. While still under warranty the service manager at the dealership Dad bought it from asked Dad not to bring it back anymore, as it was clogging up their service department. Nice! My brother had an '84 Pontiac Fiero with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder. Gutless, but it was actually very reliable. Mom had an '85 Chrysler LeBaron GTS 2.2l that finally blew a head gasket at 175k, but had no other real issues.

Of all of the engines listed there, I can't think of any of them that had a class action lawsuit to replace engines for up to ten years after they were produced. Hmmm. There should have been one for that Olds Diesel, but no one would have wanted to drive those POS's for ten years anyway...