View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
rteichman

As others have said, be afraid. But to add to that let me point out why you should be more afraid on a boxster as opposed to say a miata. Lets say the top is slightly out of allignment and its rubbing somewhere. Very soon you will need a new top. On a boxster that's about $1,400 on a Miata $400. Something is a bit off on the brakes. On a boxster that's a $600 repair on a Miata $300. In other words repairs on Boxsters (as well as most "high-end" cars) cost more. Thus you are opening yourself up to risk.

The other thing as you said, you don't know how it should feel. I suggest going to a Porsche dealer and test driving a couple of their used cars of approximately the same age. That way you will know what the car should feel like. Because of your age, I would recommend starting the conversation with "I have been looking at this silver 1999 for sale and before I buy it I thought I would see what you had". Then proceed to give them details about the car (EXCEPT the salvage bit, also I would up the price to $20K). That way they see you are a serious buyer and not just looking for a joy ride. Even if you decide not to buy the salavge one, you will walk away with the knowledge of what a good one drives like.
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote