View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #8
mikefocke

My 9 years old Ctec/Porsche maintainer had a red plastic circular adapter that went over the cigarette lighter end before it was plugged into the US socket. It was quite easy to use in foul weather by putting the actual charger and all its cords on the passenger side floorboards and running the extension cord under the door cutout. That and a car cover (Noah) got me through some really big snows when I was using my garage for the 4WD where the Boxster got the space in mild weather.

Can't comment on the recent Optima reliability/quality. I do note they are one of the 2 12v options for a Prius so lots are selling. I see the same "low charge after sitting for 3 weeks" complaints on the Prius forums, it is a function of how smart our cars have become, always waiting for our commands. Thus a slow and steady drain. My Optima was probably 5 years old when I sold it, had been used regularly or maintained constantly and was in great shape. Never had to recharge it. I never had occasion to doubt it and, while I do have a load tester, never bothered.

I too used the yellow dog adapter. Trivial install.

There were two size batteries listed in the Boxster owners manual, one for the automatic cars which meant they needed more juice. If you sized your battery to those ampere hours, you'd be fine with the larger engine.

Don't use the light weight batteries, they are for racing and reducing weight high in the car thus increasing handling. Your AC use in the summer would put a strain on their capacity.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote