View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
rfuerst911sc

battery and maintainer question

I did a search and read six pages and also book marked Mike Focke's info on batteries and maintainers. I have a 2002 S with a standard wet cell battery it is a house brand. Recently per my maintainer/charger the battery went down to 75 % charge and obviously the car turned over slowly. After my charger said it was at 100% it turns over normally but I do think the battery is starting to lose it's edge. I will have it checked locally via load test but I have a few questions.

1.For those of you that have switched to AGM batteries have you been happy with the performance of the battery ? Other than price any negatives ?

2.I have used Optima brand batteries in the past and had good luck with red top but horrible luck with yellow top. And if you believe the internet since Optima moved off shore for manufacturing they are not the battery they once were. Anyone using Optima batteries manufactured in the past year or two happy with them ?

3.I want to purchase a maintainer with desulfication mode that hooks up via the cigarette lighter, are CTEK and Battery Tender still the go to brands ? I want to go this route because with my current charger I have to pull the frunk light as it stays on even with the hood in the down position but not latched closed.

4.For a street car/weekend toy are the high end AGM batteries like Braille or others worth the extra money ?

5.Last question ( I promise ) I am having a 3.6 litre being built with a very slight bump in compression over stock. The CCA for a stock battery I believe is in the 650-700 range that should still be enough for a larger displacement engine correct ? It generally doesn't get that cold in Ga. this winter being an exception. But I don't drive the car when it is extremely cold or crappy out. I'm more concerned about 90-95 degree summer heat and starting in those conditions after the engine being hot and sitting for 10-15 minutes and restarting.

Real world advice is appreciated. Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote