View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #78
KevinH1990

I have my hardtop on right now, so access to the engine compartment is inconvenient. I'll check the connections and the resistance before I shell out $90, but there are numerous threads on Renntech indicating it is a fragile part. Oil Pressure Switch/Gauge not working - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Forums (There isn't much information on this forum because most cars have the stock sending unit that sets off the warning light.)

Normally, the gauge reads 5 bar until the oil warms up and then I'm usually around 3.5 with the car running in the 3000-4000 rpm range.

I was driving at about 70 mph one night when the gauge suddenly went all the way to the top. I thought it might have been a blocked oil passage until I realized that the warning light didn't illuminate. On one of my other cars I would be annoyed. To be honest, I was almost relieved to see that the sending unit is the common cause of this problem. $90 for a sending unit is a lot less than the cost of a new engine.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote