View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #69
Reebuck1
Reebuck1

Garage
Gauges

Here is a picture of the 986 digital gauges mounted on the 996 motherboard. You will note there are no digital gauges displayed. All you see are the lights normally behind the digital gauge faces. Reason.. the 996 digital gauges are defective and I removed them hopping I could attach good gauge faces later. But I was unable to find these digital face plates anywhere or get them repaired anywhere.

Next is the 996 analog gauges with the 986 motherboard and 986 analog gauges shown in their respective cluster half. Ready for assembly and installation in the car.

This picture shows the 986 motherboard but with a close up of the chip we have all been referring to 93c56B. It is located just to the left of center about 1/4 of an inch above the large square white digital gauge face. It is a small black chip with 4 small silver connections protruding out its top and bottom.

Last is the 986 motherboard cluster with the 996 analog gauges fully mounted in the car but the two outside gauges (volts & oil pres.) are not working.

I have been unable to get anyone to respond to my last questions on how to proceed so here are my next steps.

1) In the next few days I will try and recode the 986 motherboard so that it thinks
it is a 996 motherboard by changing the two places on the EPROM chip that allows you to select 996 or 986. If that works I'll post the exact bits and location needed to be changed. If the gauges still do not turn on I am lost as to what to do next.

2) Even if step 1 above does not work I will put the 996 motherboard back in the car and take it to the Porsche dealer to TURN ON the cruse control function with their PIWIS. I believe they should be able to do this because the 986 DME that thinks it is a 996 ROW DME should then allow the 996 motherboard to communicate with the 996 ROW flashed DME.

I HOPE !!!!!

If step one works I will still have to follow step 2.

Again if anyone sees something wrong here please let me know.
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote