View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jim, have you read the most recent comments from the PCA web site's tech area on this subject?

PCA Article on 18 inch rims on 97 boxsters...

Joel Reiser ended his explanation with this:

"All that being said, I would not be too worried about running 18" wheels on a street-driven 1997 Boxster as long as the widths and offsets are in range with what the factory offered later, and you are not driving the car to the limits."
Hi,

I did read it and to me it's not that definitive, in fact if anything, the Author lends a somewhat cautious note and is not so emphatic about his opinion until he checks with others (other civilians, not Porsche).

He cautions about driving at the limit without ever stating what that limit is - What does that mean? The point to where the 18" Wheel rips the suspension from the unreinforced chassis? It's like the fellow Bus passenger who asks you for directions and you tell him to get off two stops before you do...

We can't get Porsche to even get the RMS straight, but if they're adding structural reinforcement for the sake of merely increasing the Options List, there must be a reason.

My '99 is already taken care of, but I'd be cautious about oversizing the Wheels on an earlier model...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote