View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
drumboxer

Intake/Exhaust Upgrades for a 2003 3.2 S

Hey everybody, I am new to the forum and new to my Boxster S (had a '99 previously and loved it). I have been reading feverishly through posts about upgrading intake and exhaust to get more power out of my 3.2. This is primarily a street car, but will be used at the track 3-4 times a year. I also have several other mods going on (RSS pulley, deep sump, IMS, safety bits, etc.), but am really just focused on intake/exhaust at the moment.

The list of parts I am starting with is here, and I have a few questions:

- OEM 996 Intake, Throttle Body, and Plenum
- OEM 987 Air Box, MAF, and Filter
- Aftermarket Headers, Test Pipes, and Muffler/Exhaust

Questions:

1) I have read some posts where users said they needed to use a 987 Cayman engine cover in order to get clearance. Other users said you can simply cut the "muffler" off of the 987 air box in order to make it fit in a 986. My question is, with the intake set-up above, what will I need to do to make it fit?

2) I have seen posts with positive reviews of exhaust parts from both TopSpeed and Manzo (M2). Both are inexpensive (and therefore appealing) options next to the big names at Fabspeed, etc. I have noticed that the header+testpipe+muffler combo from TopSpeed is now nearly double the price ($1200 vs. $600) of the same set-up from Manzo (both are on ebay). Is anybody familiar enough with both set-ups to talk about the difference? What am I getting for the extra $$$ at TopSpeed?

3) Lastly, what do you recommend for tuning the ECU once this modification is done? I am used to playing with much older cars, and am completely unfamiliar with this process. I have seen several places that ask you to list out your mods and send your ECU in by mail, others that offer a tuned product you can buy, etc. Any recommendations? I am located in Indianapolis, IN, btw, in case there is someone you know of locally.

THANK YOU!!!
drumboxer is offline   Reply With Quote