View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 AM   #4
Graniticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Starting with 2003, they went to the MOST system which is a fiber optic bus for all the audio components like amp and CD changer. I am not aware of any aftermarket head units that support MOST, there may be some out there, I just am not aware of them.

If you just have the basic system (with or without rear speakers), no amp or CD changer, you can use any aftermarket head and amp. If you have the upgraded system with an amp and/or CD changer, you will need to replace the amp and changer if you change the head unit.

In addition, the BOSE system uses special very low impedance speakers. You can use the speakers with a different amp.

In my 996 Targa, it has the BOSE system with an Alpine head unit and amp. The CD changer is not connected. Works and sounds great
thanks JayG, this is really helpful. i just want to be clear, i dont think i have a cd changer, just the head unit and a bose system. the alpine head i would imagine that you run in your 996 is generic? did you change the amp or is that the one that came with the bose.

all i really want to do is add aunit with a screen for sat nav and possibly include aux in lol, i did not realise this was such a ballache!

thanks again

Grant
Graniticus is offline   Reply With Quote