View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog
Marc, I've got the same problem. My boxsters pretty smooth until I hit 80 or so....then it's vibration city. Really sucks. Love the car, but after spending over 20 grand on the purchase, I'm a little disapointed to say the least. Takes all the fun out of it. I've taken it to the local Porsche garage a couple times and they check this and that, but it's still the same. I've got 18 inchers on it and don't know if that could be a problem as the 98 came with 16s. Had a Saab 95 before this and it was as smooth as silk. I don't think I'll find the "high tech" equipment you guys got in the US here in Spain, so I'll just have to keep trying....till they fix it or I get fed up and sell her. And 80 mph isn't that fast here, the speed limits about 72 mph (120 kph).
Hi,

18" Wheels on the '97s and early '98s are a big No-No! And, likely to be contributing to your problem if your production date is early.

Porsche structurally reinforced the Chassis on later '98 models to accept 18" Wheels. Without this reinforcement, the Handling can be so adversely affected as to be dangerous at higher speeds. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99 (w/ OEM 18" Wheels)
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote