View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
Ben006
Ben-Auto-Design

Intake plenum and 911 throttle body, testing !

Hi !

So here it is, finally available!
A cheaper solution than the IPD, and better looking with a cleaner fitment than the 996 plenum.

First, let me clarify what it is and what it does:
This is a replacement intake plenum for all 986 boxster 2.7 and 3.2L, it allows the use of a 996 (or 997) Throttle, which has a larger diameter (74 vs 68mm), which in turns improves the amount of air flowing into the engine.
Here you can see the size difference! The 986 TB fits INSIDE of the 996 TB!

It is made of nylon plastic, which is resistant to oil, fuel and most solvent, and also quite strong (I can stand on it). It is not as stiff as the materiel used for the original parts, why is glass fiber reinforced nylon, hence the need for the stiffening ribs.
It is not molded, but made by Selective Laser Sintering, which is a 3D printing process that creates a part really homogenous inside, but with a rough surface. Far superior compared to the Fused Deposit Modelling used by all the "cheap" 3D printers.

Why not making it out of aluminum or have it molded in a superior material?
Simply because of the cost: I would need to make a lot of them to be able to sell them at the same price. Also, aluminum conducts heat better than nylon, which is not ideal for an intake system.

Why not use a Y shape?
The Y shape is patented by IPD, though there are ways to go around the patent, I'd rather keep the T shape and sleep in peace!

Why is it white inside?
I receive the part white, then paint it black with epoxy paint. I don't paint the inside so there is no risk of the paint being dilluted by the oil and gases coming from the crankcase ventilation then going through your engine and clog something.

What's included?
What you'll receive are:
-The new intake plenum
-Bolts and nuts for the TB
-A piece of hose for the crankcase ventilation (AOS connection)
-An EZ-coil to prevent the hose from collapsing.
-2 hose clamps

What else do I need?
To simply fit the plenum, you'll need:
-A 996 or 997 non-GT3 Throttle body (a used one is acceptable)
-A new intake tube, I'll discuss that later.
-RTV sealant to seal the TB on the plenum, it is a cheaper and more reliable method than using the 20$ Porsche rubber seal.

/!\ I don't recommend this as the first modification to your engine, alone, it won't performed at it's full potential. You need supporting mods: at least a K&N drop in filter, and a modified exhaust.

What results to expect?
I can only speak for myself, but there is a lot of feedback page 17.
I found a noticeable increase in torque above 1800 rpm then a flatter torque curve to redline, with less fading around 7000rpm. The torque dip around 3000rpm is greatly reduced.
It makes the car a lot more enjoyable for every day driving.
The sound changes too, the intake sounds deeper and louder.

I'll complete the thread when I have more time with the intake tube parts, more pictures, and installation tips.

You can always PM me

Ben
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro

Last edited by Ben006; 11-20-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote