View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
sjbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
There are four catalytic converters on your Boxster, two of them are a three-way bolted to the heads of the motor, the other two are further down-line closer to the muffler. Which converter is making the noise?

What might be causing the rattle noise are small pieces of gravel stuck in the heat shield of the converters that are closest to the muffler. I removed the heat shields on mine and my rattle noise went away.

As for the three-way converters there are no CARB approved aftermarket choices that I am aware of... I had to buy factory.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/47002-calling-986-forum-master-mechanics.html
Sigh, yep, and that's what happened. I got the magnaflow converters, took them to the shop, the guy raised the car up, looked underneath and shook his head. Said no way the Magnaflows can replace the front CATs because the way header comes to side of the stock CAT and very little room to do anything there.

I guess I am back to either looking for used CATs (don't know if the shop will install them, I think they aren't allowed to handle anything but new) or, buy new at $1800 a pop. And, save up another $1800 because the second one might go bad too!
sjbox is offline   Reply With Quote