View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #63
Reebuck1
Reebuck1

Garage
Update

Took my 996 analog gauges with my 986mother board out of the car.
Remember car ran well and most gauges worked ( except volt & oil pres.)

Put my 986 analog gauges with the 996 mother board in the car.
...CAR STARTED and ran well.
...986 analog gauges did not work...I was not expecting that!!
...Maybe it is ok because the DME thinks it is a 996 ROW DME and still can not recognize or is not programmed for the 986 analog gauges.

Intend to now take car to Porsche to use PIWIS to turn on all gauges in the DME.
...should now work because DME that thinks it is a 996 ROW can now recognize
a 996 gauge cluster (996 mother board is now in car) as a 996.

Once above is complete I need to reinstall the 996 analog gauges with the 986 mother board back in the car and hopefully all will work. I believe it can only work if I recoded the control chip in the 986 mother board to "TURN ON" the volt gauge and the oil pressure gauge. I believe the PIWIS at this point may still not recognize the 986 mother board but I will not care because all the gauges should be working.

HELP !!!!! If anyone sees issues with this please let me know.
Thanks for every ones help.........

Mistake made......When I original installed the new gauge cluster in the car I made a mistake. I put the gauge cluster in first and then installed the heater vent that goes under the steering wheel and runs up to the dash vent next to the drivers side window. When doing it I incorrectly placed the wiring harness that runs to the "BLUE PLUG" on the back of the instrument cluster "underneath" the vent. So when I tried to pull out the cluster it would not slide out far enough for me to disconnect the BLUE PLUG from the back of the cluster. It took awhile for me to figure out what had happened. I had to remove the whole vent system on the drivers side of the car. I could then move the harness to the top side of the vent, reinstall the vent system and then was able to pull the cluster easily out far enough to remove the plug.

Last edited by Reebuck1; 02-19-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote