View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
mikefocke

Laflamme, your quote is for a different year and type of IMS and may not apply to the original poster. Labor rates vary by location and the expertise of the mechanic and the competition in the area. Parts come from a distributor so they should be pretty uniform no matter where you go.

You can go broke trying to prevent every type of problem that could occur. You could rebuild the whole engine, suspension, brakes etc. I've over maintained more cars than I under maintained...and generally sold the cars along to the next owner shortly after I finished.

To the OP, if you want to do the IMS, go ahead. You'll be driving a $50k+ car for darn little even after doing that. You'll also be replacing a part that has a failure probability of approximately 1% within the next year. (Before disputing this figure, recall this is a dual row we are talking about here.)

With any used car with lots of miles you are going to have wear issues, a Porsche is not immune. Nor a Toyota. Think of failures as occurring on a bell curve, some will be early, some late. Every wear part, every car. And you don't know where on the curve your part/car will fall.

I spent more over 5 years on a Honda and on my wife's Acura than I ever did on my Porsches over the same period of time. Tires included and I treated my Porsches to better parts!

But every time I drove the Boxster ...
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote