View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
BRAN
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
As you are probably aware, there are two different types of clusters for the 996 and 986. For simplicity sake I will call the one for the 97-00 Boxster the "old" style cluster and the second "new" type is for the 01-04 Boxster and the 02-04 Carrera. The circuit board and connectors for the "new" style clusters are identical for the 996 and 986. However, you cannot use a "new" style 996 cluster on a 986 which came with an old-style cluster. For more information on the internal workings of the 986 and 996 clusters, check this out: http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/377-programming-a-carrera-instrument-cluster-for-transplant-to-a-boxster/

If it was my car, I would feel very confident that the cruise control DIY instructions for the 986 would work on a Boxster equipped with a 996 cluster. However, it is your car and you would need to assume any risk associated with the mod.

Good luck.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights on that matter, KevinH1990, the 101projects book and renntech.org was my main source of information, when I did my gauge cluster transplant project back then.
I think it is like you said and I might give it a try someday...but it is not really on my priority-list anymore