View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
mjw930

I think there are 2 trains of thought going on in this thread. One about using aftermarket springs with stock shocks and another about whether you need to change springs along with shocks and yet another about the life expectancy of shocks in general.

Most points have been touched on but here goes for the ones that haven't

1. No, you don't need to change springs when you change shocks. Springs, for the most part don't wear out. They may sag a few MM over their lifetime but that's about it.

2. Shocks wear out, they always have and always will. The shocks we have in the struts on our cars are not that far removed from the shocks used in the cars of the 70's. Over time their performance degrades due to fluid breakdown, valve wear and seal wear. It's typically a gradual process so even though everything feels fine to you if you were to get into a brand new car of your vintage you would immediately feel the difference. 40,000 miles is getting to the point where I would consider replacement but I'm a picky SOB when it comes to my P-Cars. You don't "need" new shocks but you would be better off with them IMHO.

3. Another issue with short spings and stock shocks is the potential to "bottom out" the shock. On some cars if you don't replace the struts with ones that have a shorter shaft they will bottom out (VW's are this way). I don't think this is an issue with the Boxster unless you decide to go crazy with the lowering.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote