View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
socratic

What does "Intake sound" mean? (re: EVO kits, de-snorkel, etc.)

Reading the threads that sprung up about EVO intakes and de-snorkeling, I have heard that intake sound is improved.

What do you guys mean when you say this? I know it's hard to describe but what is "intake sound"?

Years ago in my 1980 Honda Civic, I replaced the stock carburetter with Webber downdraft one and a K&N air filter. What I heard immediately afterwards was:

1) a prominent HISS when I opened the throttle; likely the air being sucked into the carb barrel
2) under wide open throttle, I heard a wonderful throaty sound. A deeper sound that made it seem that I had a larger engine in the car than that little 1.3 L it actually was.

I liked the throaty sound A LOT.
However, I was indifferent to the hiss. Having the hiss made it different than stock and when I was young kid at the time, I though it was cool. But I'm thinking that a hissing Boxster is not so cool.

Anyways, if these EVO (and others') intake increases the throaty sound, that would be great. But if there is an ancompanying HISS, then it's diminishes the increase.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote