View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Phil C

Garage
Need some help with an elusive oil leak

My '02 S has about 90,000 miles on it. I bought it in July and have been doing all the maintainence that a 90k car needs. New plugs and plug tubes, fresh gear oil, new oil cooler o rings, replaced rear control arms (front is next), etc. I love this car.
Once in a while I smelled burning oil after brisk drives. Cleaned the engine so I could find the leak. Somehow oil is getting on the right catalytic converter. Every now and then I'll see a cloud of gray smoke in the rear view mirror. Today I changed the aos as a preventative measure. Plus I thought it might somehow cure the leak. No such luck!
The oil pressure switch is bone dry, I've looked high and low on the right side of the engine and can't find any leaks. there are a few drops on the bottom of the cam cover, but no weeping. The blue O2 sensor wire has oil on it, so I'm guessing oil is coming from somewhere in the upper engine, running down the wire and burning on the converter. Could something be creating excess crankcase pressure? I'm at a total loss.
Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much detail as possible.
Thanks in advance for any sugestions!
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote