View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
husker boxster

Copart has kind of a wonky system. You must bid through a broker, which will cost you addl money if you win. I only tried it once and didn't win. It was many yrs ago and I think there was a fee for the broker to even bid. Felt it was just a way to make the middle men rich.

The car I was bidding on was lightly damaged - cpl of dents in the roof, some broken windows, etc. But bidding went way past what you'd pay to get it back into shape vs what it would be worth having a salvage title. I didn't see any profit it. I was planning to keep it as my 2nd Porsche but it was going to cost me what I could have bought a used one for.

Be careful just bidding from pics. There can be lots of hidden damage that can quickly add up. And the folks shooting the pics know how to present the cars in the best possible way - such as knocking the creases out of the bumper cover, hiding all the damage behind it. There are middle men who will view the car and give you a report on it prior to the auction, but that costs $$$ so you need to be sure it's a car you're interested in or you'll be running up lots of fees w/o buying. Once again, the middle men get rich.

Other sites may be different, this is just my limited experience with one of them. I still like to go out to Copart for fun and see what's there.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-25-2015 at 03:15 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote