View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
pierre shags

An Encounter - why not?

I was going into town at 8:00 Saturday night to check on my business. Turned off the main drag into an empty light-industrial area. It is a long block posted at 30mph and I was doing 65 by the end of it. Full stop at the sign and turn right at the T-junction; nobody anywhere. The PSA nanny is off on my 987S Boxster and the tires squeal loudly but it doesn't slide an inch. I coast to the next corner and come to a full stop. No traffic and I note the law-abiding, 69-year-old manner of getting to the next corner and full stop. (After 50 years of watching my subconscious work and trying to heed it's warnings, it's hard to believe I can still miss such an obvious message.)

This is why I come this way. I'm on a uphill and will be turning right onto a three lanes one-way thoroughfare. The only way to get this damn car to slide is to do something radical - like launching at 5000 RPM and pulling a hard right while going up a hill. The hill helps get the back end up enough that it'll slide. This is where I practice my launch and recovery technique. Ideally it will slide but I'll get it back in the lane without any shilly-shallying. I nail it at 5000 rpm; a personal best.

Then come the red and blue flashing lights. Seems he's been following me since I turned off the main drag. He says "Why are you driving like a teenager?" I'm playing guilty, contrite, embarrassed, but I think "Cause I've got the car for it, duh." He lectures me and tells me what penalties he could give me, including reckless endangerment. I think "Nobody there to endanger" but say nothing.

And then he gives me a warning, but no ticket!

My question is "Why not?"

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote