View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
gonzojive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
I took this so you can see where your screw is. No one is getting a dentist mirror or any device of size in they to retrieve the screw.

As Jake said, do not start this engine.
Thank you all for the sobering advice. flaps10, very helpful high resolution photo.

I managed to get a vacuum hose and endoscope into the area beneath the IMS-camshaft chain. But still not able to get a tool into the spot where the screw is - beneath the IMS-crankshaft chain. (Here's video taken with the endoscope going through the horizontal hole for the driver's side chain tensioner. I can't get the scope to the other side of the final sprocket, where the screw is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5LyAzlFUs&edit=vd ) I marked up flap10's photo to illustrate:

One idea is to stick a small magnet to the IMS-crankshaft chain (through the tensioner hole), then turn the crank until the magnet makes it to where the screw is. The magnet could pick up the screw, and then I'd turn the crank the other way to get it to near the tensioner area, where I could grab it.

Another idea is to drill a hole in the bottom of the engine case and retrieve the screw through there. Not sure if that is at all reasonable yet.
gonzojive is offline   Reply With Quote