View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
tomonomics

Garage
Before I start my rant, let me state that I aspire to be a purist, and I'd prefer to drive an NA powered car. But, as the blood flows back into my head.....

Porsche introduced the 911 Turbo in 1975. Forty years ago. FORTY!!! Since then, many people have aspired to own one. Is anyone really surprised that the turbo has found its way into the 'mainstream' Porsche models? Based on reality and fuel standards, the turbo is here and there's no stopping it.

Are the forthcoming turbos a bad thing? This isn't a handicapped 1975 Corvette V8 with 165 horsepower. We are looking at future Boxsters with 300+ HP, in spite of federally mandated fuel economy standards, even if they are 4 cyl. I'd bet that 80% of us wouldn't know or care what was six inches behind our asses as long as it was 300HP and fairly seamless with the power delivery.

The Macan started the 'all turbo' trend:
Macan S: 3.0L Turbo V6 (340 HP)
Macan Turbo: 3.6L Turbo V6 (400 HP)

Are those bad numbers???? Turbo's are coming, whether we like it or not. Stick with your 986, or as the core says, buy a 993.

To me this argument is similar to the one when fuel injection replaced carburetors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any requests for a 4-barrel carb conversion kits for the 986.

-T
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote