View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

John, the best thing to do is remove the dash board and carefully use 3M spray-on adhesive on both sides of the peeling leather and the dashboard itself, let it sit a bit to create a tack for good adhesion, then smooth it out from the dash side to the outside and curl the leather around.

I was very jealous of other boxster owners with leather dashboards in their cars until I figured out that all the 986's do this if the owner uses the defroster. The hot moist air does a number on that thin leather and it ripples up and peels away from the dashboard.

The dealers just replaced the dashboard under warranty when it happened. The 3M adhesive is what I used when I glue leather down to various pieces on my interior to upgrade them.

[To anyone else with a leather dash on their 986, be sure to keep a towel in the car and wipe down the leather dash at the front where it meets the window if you see moisture accumulating there or if you use your defroster on a cold morning or rainy day to clear the windshield.]

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-20-2015 at 08:24 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote