View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzojive View Post
I dropped a set screw into the engine case beneath the IMS bearing. I have been trying to get it out, no luck. I have tried

1) removing the oil pan and accessing the recess through there, but I couldn't find a path
2) going along the chain that links the IMS to the camshafts for cyls 1-3 (flywheel side). Could not fit a tool into there, or my 1cm endoscope.
3) getting it out while I had the IMS bearing flange off to replace my IMS bearing. Not enough clearance. But I probably should have tried harder, and at that point my engine was not at TDC. Perhaps at TDC I will be able to move the IMS enough to fit a magnet on a string in there? I'm guessing not.

Let me hope I don't need to drop the engine for this 10mm set screw, for which I have already gone to the trouble of retiming 1 bank of camshafts.

Aside from how to get it out, what will this screw do to the engine if I leave it? I haven't found a photo or diagram that shows how much space is beneath the IMS bearing area or how this area is connected to the rest of the engine. Will it just sit there in a recess indefinitely? Will it get sucked into the sieve in the oil pan area?
Basically, it can chew it to pieces if it gets picked up in the cam drives. You need to get it out. And if you are doing an IMS swap, why are you not at TDC? Really bad idea............