View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
986Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Don't let the words "CNC" make you think it's some high-fallutin-fancy-schmancy-expensive part. It's a freaking piece of metal with a few holes welded onto some tubing.

I could have that "CNC" part + the tube + welding + paint manufactured at any machine shop with a Swiss tool for around $6.00 total at quantities of 50-100. Over 100 it would drop drastically.

The whole thing looks like it could be manufactured and assembled for around $50.00 - probably $25.00. If people are willing to spend $379.00 for that - I'm in the wrong business....

Regardless - I'd love a new intake....
Yeah, I'm aware of the CNC part. The piece that the sensor hooks too is CNC cut and it's a tube with the same ID welded to it. However it does take time for all this to be developed and do all the R&D. The plastic is injection moulded which costs for the first one but you can pump them out afterwards.

I'm currently in the finishing stages helping with R&D on a Tensioner Pully for high HP honda motors, it's all CNC and fairly simple. We have spent about 400hr's on it so far and a lot of money. They are finally done and should cost us about $25 each after it's all done. The first 200 we sell will only get our money back, so it's not that profitable.

Regardless I can see $375 is expensive but nobody else has built something better or cheaper so really we have to pay to play. I'm not all that worried about the cost, but more how it works. It's more work for me to develop something custom myself vs buy something for that price thats already done. My time is worth more than $375 if you know where I'm coming from. So for me thats a descent price really.

Well it seems like it's really getting good reviews, so sounds like we have a winner here for an intake. Glad to hear it really sounds the business too, thats nice. I much prefer an intake roar vs. a loud exhaust system. A nice balance of the two is music to my ears.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote