View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Luv2Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
The red cups are OEM, as mine are. I did notice that the cable snaps were a bit easy to install, my original cables were quite snug to attach. Could it be that I need to tighten up my top cables in order to get the rear of the top tighter upon closing?

The top had been previously installed on a car, not sure of for how long, so I can't be sure if this is a stretching issue or not. But since these rod cups are now 13 years old I guess the one could have just failed, but I would still like to know the cause of why it happened on a replacement top upon the first full closure.
If the top had been installed it probably is stretched but no way of knowing without knowing how long it had been on.
The red cups are the original one's that get brittle over the years and eventually fail. These are the new upgraded better plastic one's- New Porsche 986 Boxster 1997 2004 Convertible Top Push Rod Repair Kit | eBay
I just randomly selected this auction so you could see what you need and I've heard good feedback from other Boxster owners about these.
When your top is operable again have someone lower and raise it while you observe. The top should go up and down evenly and without jerking. If not you've got another issue but it is hard to tell you what without observing it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote