View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
HereIam

Some thoughts on "Porsche Purism"

I remember reading in the news in 1998 when the New Beetle was released...some guy broke into a dealer and smashed up a bunch of them with a hammer or bat. Apparently he did this because he was angry that VW had ruined his perception of what the Beetle was supposed to represent. If I recall, the fellow was of a distinctly hippie persuasion, trapped in time. With all the passion of the Beetle-smasher, "Porsche purists" are still freaking out about the changes in Porsche.

And I've been there right along with them, beating my hippie drum. But gradually I've come to appreciate the wisdom of change, and as of this week, with the purchase of my 97 Boxster, I've become a bona fide fan of new Porsche.

About a dozen years ago when I was driving my 964 C4, I came to the conclusion that "all cars should be like a Porsche." One of the most striking things for me was how safe I felt in the car. I remember thinking, who needs airbags when you car is so nimble you can place it anywhere on the road in an instant, and stop on a dime? And when I sold it, I remember feeling very unsafe at first in the Integra that replaced it.

The bottom line is I think I got my wish, and it has everything to do with the new Porsche. I bought my Boxster for $4k in great condition. Now I'm going to look into replacing my wife's car with a used Cayenne, which are beginning to approach the $10k mark. Even after buying these 2 cars, I'll still have plenty of headroom to fix them when they break, and continue to save big stacks for my classic 911. In a short time I'll have a Porsche for every occasion.

So I give Porsche a long-overdue thumbs-up for the new diggs!

A word of caution...
Of course I would never recommend such a lineup of Porsches, if you're uncomfortable with or can't afford the inevitable cost of repair and maintenance, fuel, and tires. Buying used Porsches, anticipate that over time maintaining it may exceed your original purchase price. Case-in-point, my Boxster was only $4k, but is going to need new brakes and tires soon. My guess is, from past experience, that this will cost me a minimum of $2000...half my purchase price. But consider...the original owner flushed tens of thousands of dollars down the toilet to be first. Kudos to those who have the spare change to do this without care, but most of us are compelled to be a bit more strategic about our spending habits.
HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote