View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I too wish Porsche was independent. Never gonna happen with the best bottom line in the business. Such a shame. Much of the current Porsche makes me gag as their need to make more $$$ is SO obvious. Just look at the big push they've got going about how swell winter driving your Porsche can be. End result is Porsche's are 'less special' everyday. No wonder folks hold onto to the aircooled tighter everyday...
Ekam posted about this several months back, for those not in the know the article he referenced was beyond eye opening as to what / why things went the way they did for Porsche:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54701-porsche-hedge-fund-also-made-cars.html

While I do agree with Perfectlap that the current air cooled market may be unwarranted or a bubble (especially since everything built since then is more comfortable and performs better) I also grudgingly agree with many of the arrogant "Purists" that the evolution into mass production / sharing components or entire sub-assemblies that the 986 / 996 series introduced really watered down the sports car concoction in the name of pure profitability. Seeing the current sales figures for Porsche regarding SUV's vs. Sports Cars only reinforces that stance. It has IMO made the marque that much less special.

A video that summarizes it all IMO, around the 2:40 mark...."Looking for things that weren't created to be something to everyone, but EVERYTHING to someone"

Last edited by coreseller; 01-03-2015 at 01:08 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote