View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
jhiggi83

Garage
Porsche Mechanic as a Career Choice

A little background about me, I am getting honorably discharged this year after 8 years of service in the Marine Corps. My background has been 4 years Contract Management and 4 years accounting. I also got a Bachelors of Business Admin while in.

I was considering going to UTI and then follow up with the Porsche program because I was getting bored of sitting in an office all day and I really like working on my own vehicles. My test scores in the military are very high in mechanical and the Veterans Admin. Aptitude test showed very high aptitude for mechanical. However when I went to talk to the Veterans Admin. Career counselor to interpret that test she said that I am best suited to a technical trade like auto mechanics but with my current qualifications I would be stupid not to stay in contract management. That I am looking at 80k a year in contract management vs 30k being a mechanic. While money isnt everything to me I do like to have enough to support my family, save for retirement and work on side projects. I have read that good master mechanics can make 70k-100K a year but I also read that those earnings figures are not realistic. I am very interested in being able to do everything on a car. I'm just looking to see if I can get different perspectives. My career counselor told me to keep mechanics as a hobby and go where the money is but I think with the proper training and years on the job I could become an expert in the field.
jhiggi83 is offline   Reply With Quote