View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
rfuerst911sc

man cave/garage AC and heat

I am fortunate to have a detached three car garage in the backyard. It was originally built by the previous owner as a two bay garage . I guess he found out he needed more space so added the third bay. So there is a common interior wall that divides the two with two windows but no door way. The two bay is 24 x 26 with 10 ' ceiling at the walls and 14 ' at the peak. The single bay is 12 x 26 with a slight slanted roof basically 10 ' high. Walls in all of the structure are 2 x 4 with conventional fiberglass insulation, exterior is wood siding the interior is 4 x 8 wood sheathing. Ceiling is R19 in the single bay and R50 in the two bay. So that is the basics. Being in Georgia I don't need tremendous heat but do want to be able to heat when it gets into the 30's. Likewise the summer here is hot/humid so want to be able to cool down. Basically looking for something to set at a minimum both hot/cold then crank it up when I want to work out there.
I am committed to electric so either going to go with a conventional 2 ton heat pump/AC with 5kw heat strips OR a 2 ton dual zone mini split. If I go with conventional it is cheaper in initial cost but more intrusive due to the duct work. If I go with mini split it's more cost up front but very DIY friendly for the install. I'm thinking 9k for the single bay and 18k for the two bay.
So any of you guys using either of these setups ? Any recommendations ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote