View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche987 View Post
I've got a 2010 Boxster whose battery was replaced last spring. She's away for the winter now, hooked up to an Optimate 6. When first hooked up--beginning of December--the charger went through its rigamarole--charging, testing, etc. and when all was said and done, the battery condition was a steady green. Yesterday I noticed it was green and yellow (a step down), and today red and yellow (another step down, conditionwise.) I restarted the maintainer, and it is presently charging.
Any ideas?
Just in case, I popped the frunk--the doors are locked. Any problems leaving the frunk popped for the rest of the winter, while the battery is hooked up to the maintainer?
Thanks!
Could be a couple of things; first, check the battery. I prefer to run load tests, but voltage and specific gravity checks will do in a pinch, also make sure the cells are all full (use only distilled water if they need topping up).

Second, it could be the charger you are using. While there are a lot of charger and maintainers out there, several of them have left me less than impressed. I particularly look for a maintainer that includes a desulfating step in all its programs, and I am not a fan of high output maintainers that are also chargers; if the electronics go off they can cook a perfectly good battery in a relatively short time frame. We only use the Ctek line both in the shop and in our customer storage facility; we have never had one act up or cook a battery in over ten years of continuous usage.