View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keddie
Well the dealership said it was the Air/Oil seperator which has sprayed oil all over the inside of the engine. They said they would replace the hoses and seperator. $400.00. Then they said they need to takeoff the intake manifold off and clean it and then put them back on ect... 300.00 and stating it needs an oil change 195.00 just got one 5000 miles ago.

How hard is this to do myself?

And should new brakes cost 1,300.00?????

Thanks

Keddie
Hi,

R&R 'ing the Air/Oil Separators would be considered a somewhat major repair, but one which any competant DIY with a good set of tools can accomplish. It involves dropping the Oil Pan and disassembling the Air/Oil Separators and replacing them, then putting everything together again. You need to raise the Car as you're working underneath. You'll need a Torque Wrench as well. I'd give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale and think 3 Hrs. would be needed. So far as cleaning the Plenum, that's somewhat optional as the Oil will eventually work it's way through it, but that's additional work on the Top of the Motor, I'd probably do it too.

You need to drop the Oil to do the repair anyway, so you can perform your own Oil Change at this point for just the cost of materials. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote