View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #33
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
As always, you are terrifying me, and my Boxster lol

I'd like think that the design team in that Stuttgart's studio have gauged the correct low & high expansion characteristics when it came to selecting the flat6's materials. Wear is beautiful, shinny and even, when engineered correctly.

As long as you don't quenched the hot engine in cold water, it should be designed to scuff to Porsche's tolerance/acceptance. Cold or hot - stop terrifying me, and others maybe lol

We get full AL/TI engines warmed up to 95degree (203F) before revving them (superbikes, manual thermostat!). What do you tell your customers is the acceptable go-temp range for the stock flat6, or your custom built?
All predominantly alloy water cooled engines suffer from these dimensional shifting issues, so your Porsche is not alone in this area.

For a factory engine in a street car, minimum is to warm the engine until the heater starts throwing heat before driving. For a performance rebuilt engine, again on the street, warm it to at least 150F (assuming aftermarket gauges). Race engine should be 160-175F.