View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
Steve Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
JFP.
I used a rev limit until warm and even then I didn't hammer it. Is that enough or do we need heated garages and to what temp? Block heaters? Fluid heaters?
Mike - I think you are correct, but there are too many variables to be able to draw positive conclusions regarding what we need. Even measurable differences such as oil & coolant temperatures @ startup, individual bore ovality, engine bearing and piston ring wear and oil quality as well as engine revs at low temps all come into play here.
High engine speeds with a closed loop (rich) fuel mixture is detrimental to longevity, but I would have thought that high load and low revs on a cold engine would be just as detrimental if not worse...

Having owned several Alfa Romeo cars where warmup was general practice, I still tend to warm my cars for a couple of minutes and then keep revs below 3,000rpm and (importantly) engine loads low for the first 5 miles or so....