View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
mikefocke

JFP.

Great response.

But the evidence based on immediate max power and racing revs is somewhat different than the 3500 RPM limit until 12 miles and warm I was describing in an every day car. Or is it? How much is enough? In racing every HP counts. But do I care if I lose 2 or 3. I'll still make it to the grocery store.

Is there any system in our cars that pumps/sprays the oil and delays the start for a few seconds to get the oil flowing? You would think there should be given what you describe.

The thermostat limits the water cooling until warm. The oil/water exchange helps warm the oil. The side air exchange fan doesn't come on till the engine compartment is hot. All show Porsche thinks quick orderly warmups are important. Is there any other system?

Sisu. Agreed. I'm just trying to establish the degree.

I used a rev limit until warm and even then I didn't hammer it. Is that enough or do we need heated garages and to what temp? Block heaters? Fluid heaters?

(Lets limit the discussion to moderate (28f to 100f) temperature climates with 0w-40 oils. Alaska is just different.)
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote