View Single Post
Old 08-03-2002, 09:26 AM   #8
donv

Charlie,

I did the kit and am reasonably happy with the results (especially given the price). If you're going to go to the effort I would definitely recommend adding tweeters to the set up when you do it. I find the mids and bass to be improved (though not the "wow" I'd expected, like Rob) but the highs are only coming from the front dash speakers. I plan to take mine apart and add the tweeters in the off season.

In the interest of giving something back to the Boxster community (that helped me with lots of helpful on-line info before I bought my car), I took digital photos throughout the process of installing the kit - with the intention of writing the process up for the "hacks" site. Alas, due to "domestic relations" work (house painting, papering - why I couldn't make the ride last week ), I haven't got around to finishing the web page yet. I'd be happy to forward you the scans of the tech bulletin pages and the photos of the work, if you want them, so you can see exactly what the job entails. Let me know.

The most unsettling thing for me was cutting off the outboard bin pockets from the $400 storage bin with a dremel. I kept thinking "measure/model twice, cut once" the whole time... on the other hand, it did give me a good reason to take off the engine cover for a nice look around in there .

I don't know if this is related, but I've recently noticed that the driver door glass buzzes with two specific CDs (must just contain the exact problem frequencies!) - is this a common problem or something I should be having the dealer look into? I'm not blasting the stereo, just a reasonable listening volume with good old B.B. King, et al. Anyone else notice this?

-Don
donv is offline   Reply With Quote