View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Sthompson

Stereo install, no 12V, help troubleshoot

Hi Guys and gals, hoping for a little help here. Today installed a Clarion Head unit in place of my CDR-210. Read up on the pelican parts how to. But, I can’t get it to work. Bottom line is no 12V constant power from the engine loom (red/black wire)

A few bits of info.

I removed the stock head unit frame (that sheet metal thing) that had the security ground wire attached to it. When I installed the frame for the unit, it did not have a way to attach the security wire to the new frame.

I read that I was supposed to ground the security signal, so I combined the head unit ground with the security wire ground. I checked for continuity from the negative battery lead to my grounding connection and there is continuity.

I got everything connected, and it worked, but the HD Radio tuner wasn’t working, so I pulled the head unit out of the dash, and noticed that the HD radio connector had come undone when I was stuffing everything together. So I reconnected the HD tuner connection and put the stereo back in and turned it on. Nothing happened.

When I lock the car, the car locks and there is the single horn honk (normal is no honks). I believe this can be attributed to the radio, but since I grounded the security wire, I’m not sure why I’m getting this. Does the car think the radio is gone, and if so, cutting power to the Constant 12V of the radio?

So I started troubleshooting. Here’s what I’ve done:
1) I checked all the fuses in the floor panel. They are all good
2) I’ve checked the multimeter to the 12V switched wire, and it gets 12 V when the ignition turns on.
3) I’ve checked the multimeter to the 12 V constant wire (at the head unit and at the chassis harness. I’m not getting any signal there. All of the troubleshooting says this is usually a fuse, but I can’t find a blown fuse.
4) I ran a lead directly from the battery terminal to the 12 v constant and the stereo worked.
5) The cigarette lighter 12v constant works fine
6) I took the battery to the auto parts store and had it fully charged.

Any help is much appreciated. I’d like to get it to work the right way, and don’t want to run a bunch of rogue wires around on my Porsche, that’s what the Honda is for….
Sthompson is offline   Reply With Quote