View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Retroman1969

Thank you guys!
Yes it was on CL for quite a while, about 5 months I think. The lot was in kind of a bad area, and they just kept the car stuck in a corner, unwashed and run-down looking, and they also deal in cash only on certain cars. I'm sure all this led to it not selling for so long.
So far I'm liking the Tip. In auto mode, 90% of the time it shifts just where I want it to, and I love the dash indicators showing what gear you're in. Occasionally it will hang onto a gear a bit too long, or shift a bit too early, but mostly works great. Manual mode works very well too. Love the feel of it, although I can't use the thumb shifters if I'm trying to down or up shift through a turn or sharp curve. One fun surprise in auto mode: While entering a curve from 75mph I started brakeing hard and the tranny began to downshift rapidly through all the gears to assist in the brakeing. It was an awesome feature! I'll try to report in when I have more quality time with it.
Speaking of brakes, I noticed that it has cross-drilled rotors on it. Something my other car doesn't have. Was that an available option on standard Boxsters? Either way, cool to have.
I love that it has character and I don't have to walk on eggshells around it. Just get in and drive, drive, drive. I'm going to call it Harper as reference to Paul Newman's beat up old 356 in the 1966 movie Harper.

Thanks again for all the great comments!