View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Retroman1969

Bought the Beater Boxster....

UPDATE...

This is a follow up post to my older one: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54493-thinking-using-boxster-hyper-daily-driver.html

I've gone back and forth with this car for a few weeks. This sad little Porsche was sitting on one of those We-Tote-The-Note car lots in the old industrial section of downtown. We finally settled on $4500 for the car, so my car-nut-friends helped me pick it up and see how well it could clean up and detail-out.
(The second cleaner Box in the pics is my other car, both '99s)

Covered in dust, grime, and bird crap at the car lot. (Not me, the car!)

Following my friend Jim through the city (at one point he pulled beside me on the freeway, called me, and said: "This is my boss, Jonathan Hart..." For those who remember the opening to that show, LOL)

Stopping for lunch.

I'm shocked with just what a decent wash did for it!

After that we went to my friend's shop where we hit it with polish, wax, and headlight restorer for the crusty yellow headlights.

Now it sits at the Porsche garage where it awaits a full fluid service and final inspection to see if anything needs immediate attention.

It has many cosmetic issues: two good sized dents, torn driver's seat, lots of fine scratches in the paint on the doors where it looks like an excited dog has jumped all over it, and terrible condition back window. But it's intended as a Beater Boxster so hey.
I'm frankly shocked with how it drives. Runs/drives smooth and solid as a rock. A missle on the highway, and appropriately docile in town. It is equipped with Tiptronic (I, a huge stick shift advocate, am quickly falling in love with this tranny), memory seat, among the more typical options. Brand new set of Michelin tires! Everything works perfectly, another pleasant surprise. It currently has 124,000 miles on the clock, has clearly not had the easiest life, yet still drives and operates like it should... still makes me giggle like a fool as much as a new $54,000 one would.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote