View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #53
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster 50 View Post
I hate to hear that the kit is so incomplete!! I guess that is why they quoeted me 30K to do the job. I think you can do a better job then they did on the fab work for the brake mount. It appears to be kind of inferior with the little tabs that are tacked on. I would think you could make that area with I piece of flat plate. He other thing that is crazy is that when I spoke them they didnt say anything about cutting the rear deck of the car. I am also disappointed that the kit doesn't have a nice molded cover for the firewall. With this being said I am just grateful that they got it off the ground and sounds like you will take it to the next level. If it was easy everyone would have one BA Boxster "LS"!!! Here's to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Last time I talked with Scott he told me they had a new cover piece for the firewall - he said it was actually a Porsche part if I heard him correctly.

I'm with you 50 as to making a better piece to fill in what has been cut out.

All that being said I'm still very interested in the Boxster conversion but am now also considering a 996 conversion. I'm not sure whether or not the 996 conversion requires as much hacking ......
Hello all,

Hope everyone is staying warm out there! High here in Atlanta area was 34* yesterday which I think is just ridiculous! Just glad I'm not in upstate NY right now - yikes!

Anyhow back to the car... Boxster 50 - I'm not trying to knock the kit at all, definitely worth the money as there are a lot of custom fabricated pieces. It is a custom installation and they do a good job in providing the basics for getting everything where it should be. I think they could do a better job in laying out some basic instructions as I feel they probably hear a lot of the same questions from people. Plus I hate asking seemingly simple questions but hate doing things wrong even more!

They also don't necessarily hide the fact that more custom work is needed, but they don't advertise it as I'm sure it would turn potential customers away. Biggest things to fabricate are the firewall plate and the throttle body adapter, but definitely other custom stuff as well. Regarding the e-brake tabs I think a better job could be done, I may even try to cut the factory piece and work it back in but we will see. Oh and it is not really cutting the rear decklid, but the top of the engine lid cover area, underneath where the top sits.

JRL - They do have a firewall piece which is about to be in production or may be by now. The one I have pictures of is definitely not a factory piece although they did mention making one which uses the factory panal which I have not seen.

I bolted on the water manifold last night, of course it does not clear the timing cover bolts so they include some little spacers for clearance :/ Could have made the manifold an 1/8" thicker to avoid that but they say it clears on some motors so oh well. Dosen't clear on the LS3! Instead of using the spacers and sealant I went ahead and ground down the timing cover bolts a bit and used the GM factory gaskets which I feel better about then using the spacers.

Regarding flipping the intake manifold around... that is going to take a bit more custom work as the oil pressure sender bung on the breather plate is in the way of the throttle body so it needs to be cut/welded/tapped and adapted for the Porsche sending unit.

Hopefully we will make a bit more progress in the next few days once it warms up a bit

Thanks!
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote