View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
mikefocke

The difference between someone really knowing the engine and the systems that control it compared to the guy who just measures the externals is significant. For the $400, you get the kind of job an experienced Porsche mechanic can knock out in two hours. For $1,600 you get lots of additional things inspected, measured and diagnosed by an expert who knows all the tricks.

Only you can determine if one is a reasonable value to you or the other is better. 8 years ago a very good PPI cost me $400. It took at least 2-3 hours and then the mechanic took about a half hour with the car up in the air going over every little comment. It was also a case where he knew he would be getting the repair business that his investigations uncovered it needed. It would be more in today's money. Also, since the car is older now and we know more of the weak points now, there are more things to examine in a comprehensive PPI than there were back then.

Imagine this scenario. PPI #1 puts the car up in the air, wiggles the suspension and inspects the half shaft boots. PPI #2 does that plus lasers the frame, measures all alignment specs, measures the corner balance drives the car a significant distance, etc. Different information is then available to be passed on to the car owner and prospective purchaser. Information which will have to be documented in differing detail and then explained in differing detail to them both. Which one you want is your choice but one takes more expertise and time and should cost more. While the other may be enough for you. Now if those details are right in Tony's case, I have no way of knowing. I just throw them out there as a hypothetical example of how there can be two different PPIs and both priced appropriately but differently.

Tony has an excellent reputation. Has had for years. Does it matter that he taught the guy who might be doing the PPI? That he gets all the hard cases so knows more of what to look for? Or is the obvious enough? Only you can determine that.

Good luck. May your results be as good as mine were.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote